This is the Saint (Henry Bird Collins)
- Editor: Oliver Hayes (submitted 2023-05-24). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 577 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: This is the Saint
Composer: Henry Bird Collins
Lyricist: John Henry Newman
Number of voices: 1v Voicing: Unison
Genre: Sacred, Motet
First published: 1903
Description: This is a setting of Cardinal Newman's hymn to St. Philip Neri, This is the Saint. It is a piece for tenor or soprano and keyboard, and was probably written not for use in church but as devotional song.
Original text and translations
1. This is the saint of gentleness and kindness,
cheerful in penance and in precept winning;
patiently healing of their pride and blindness,
souls that are sinning.
2. This is the saint, who when the world allures us,
cries her false wares and opes her magic coffers,
points to a better city, and secures us
with richer offers.
3. Love is his bond, he knows no other fetter,
asks not our all, but takes whate'er we spare him,
willing to draw us on from good to better,
as we can bear him.
4. When he comes near to teach us and to bless us,
prayer is so sweet, that hours are but a minute;
mirth is so pure, though freely it possess us,
sin is not in it.
5.Thus he conducts by holy paths and pleasant,
innocent souls and sinful souls forgiven,
t'wards the bright palace where our God is present,
throwned in high heaven.