Grateful Notes (Martin Madan)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2019-11-23). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 69 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, Treble-Tenor-Bass as arranged by Oliver Shaw, 1808. Counter part written by B. C. Johnston, 2019.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2019-11-23). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 3 pages, 71 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Arranged by Oliver Shaw, 1808. Four-part edition; Counter part written by B. C. Johnston, 2019. Note shapes added (4-shape). Transcribed from The Columbian Sacred Harmonist (Oliver Shaw), 1808.
First published: 1775 in The Hymns used at the Magdalen Chapel
2nd published: 1808 in The Columbian Sacred Harmonist
Description: Words by William Dodd, first published in Christian's Magazine, February 1766, with seven stanzas (Julian 1907, p. 450). Madan used stanzas one, two, and five in his composition.
Original text and translations
1. Grateful notes and numbers bring,
4. Lead us to that blissful state
7. There no tongue shall silent be;