Te lucis ante terminum (Tomás Luis de Victoria)
- Editor: Joost Veerman (submitted 2023-02-20). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 740 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Score according to manuscript 2 Mus.pr.23#Beibd.1 from the Bavarian State Library.
- Editor: Andreas Stenberg (submitted 2021-02-21). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 115 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: A semi-diplomatic edition, original key and note-values, modern clefs, ficta added sparingly. Transcript of chant-melody included.
Title: Te lucis ante terminum
Composer: Tomás Luis de Victoria
Manuscript ca.1670 in Bayerische Staatsbibliotek, 2 Mus.pr.23#Beibd.1
Description: Manuscript 2 Mus.pr.23#Beibd.1 comes from St.Michael's Church in Munich. It contains music for the Sunday Vespers and Compline. In the Compline-section one can find the chant and a setting of the 'Te lucis" (p.182-186).
The melody of the chant differs from that in the Liber Usualis. The four-part setting has been attributed to De Victoria by E.C. Cramer.
In the "Te lucis", other hands have added
- to the chant with the first stanza: the words of the second stanza, and
- to the setting with the second stanza: the words of the third stanza.
This gives the following possibilities for a performance:
A. 1+3 in unison, 2 in parts;
B. 1+2 in unison, 3 in parts;
C. 1 in unison, 2+3 in parts.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Te lucis ante terminum.