Accept, Almighty Father (Anonymous)
- (Posted 2019-10-22) CPDL #55697:
- Editor: Patrick Williams (submitted 2019-10-22). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 29 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: English text is unsourced and presumed to be in the public domain.
- (Posted 2019-10-18) CPDL #55637:
- Editor: Patrick Williams (submitted 2019-10-18). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 29 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Transposed to G major. English text is unsourced and presumed to be in the public domain.
First published: 1532
Description: Original text with this chorale melody is "Lob Gott getrost mit Singen," published in Musika Teutsch, Nuremberg, 1532
External websites: https://phoenixlatinmass.org/schola-and-music/
Original text and translations
1. Accept, almighty Father,
These gifts of wine and bread.
Now offered at the altar
To Thee through Christ our Head.
In humble reparation
For sins and failings dread,
To gain life everlasting
For living and for dead.
2. With these, although unworthy,
Some off’ring we will make.
But all we have Thou gavest;
Then what Thou gavest, take:
Our hearts, our souls, our senses
We give through Mary’s hands,
Who by the Cross once standing
Now by the altar stands.
3. O God, by this commingling
Of water and of wine,
May He, who took our nature,
Give us His life divine.
O come and make us holy,
Receive this sacrifice,
Into Thy favor take us;
In Christ may we arise.