Aequalis aeterno patri (Michael Praetorius)
- Editor: Ross Jallo (submitted 2011-05-26). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 29 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Original key. The third voice may have originally been intended for a tenor voice, but its tessitura is so high I think it would be far better for an alto.
First published: 1611 in Hymnodia Sionia, no. 8
Description: this is a setting of the sixth verse of the Advent hymn "Veni redemptor gentium". Other verses of the hymn published in Hymnodia Sionia include:
- No. 1: verse 1, Veni redemptor gentium (a 4)
- No. 7: verse 5, Egressus ejus a patre (a 5)
- No. 9: verse 7, Praesepe jam fulget tuum (a 2)
- No. 10: verse 8 (or verse 1), Deo patri sit gloria (a 7)
Original text and translations
| Latin text
Aequalis aeterno patri,
O equal to the Father, Thou!