Ah, sweetheart let us hurry (Christoph Dalitz)
- (Posted 2019-04-11) CPDL #53939:
- Editor: Christoph Dalitz (submitted 2019-04-11). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 41 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Edition for SS or TT
- (Posted 2019-04-11) CPDL #53938:
- Editor: Christoph Dalitz (submitted 2019-04-11). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 41 kB Copyright: CC BY SA
- Edition notes: Edition for AA or BB
First published: 2019
Description: A madrigal setting in the style of Heinrich Schütz' "Symphoniae sacrae". The accompaniment can be played on arbitrary baroque instruments (violins, recorders, cornetii, ...).
External websites: http://music.dalitio.de/choir/dalitz/ach-liebste-lass-uns-eilen/index.html
Original text and translations
Ah, sweetheart, let us hurry / We still have time.
Delaying thus, we bury / Our mutual prime.
Beauty’s bright gift shall perish / As leaves grow sere;
All that we have and cherish / Shall disappear.
The cheek of roses fadeth / Gray grows the head;
And fire the eyes evadeth / And passion’s dead.
The mouth, love’s honeyed winner / Is formless, cold;
The hand, like snow, gets thinner / And thou art old!
So let us taste the pleasure / That youth endears,
Ere we are called to measure / The flying years.
Give, as thou lov’st and livest / Thy love to me,
Even though, in what thou givest / My loss should be!