- (Posted 2020-12-05) CPDL #61803:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-12-05). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 63 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2020-12-05) CPDL #61802:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-12-05). Score information: A4, 1 page, 115 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
- (Posted 2016-11-07) CPDL #41727:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-07). Score information: A4, 1 page, 23 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Composer: Jeremiah Clarke
Lyricist: John Greenleaf Whittier
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
2nd published: 1983 in Hymns Ancient and Modern, New Standard, no. 133
Original text and translations
1. Immortal love for ever full,
for ever flowing free,
for ever shared, for ever whole,
a never-ebbing sea!
2. Our outward lips confess the name,
all other names above;
love only knoweth whence it came
and comprehendeth love.
3. We may not climb the heavenly steeps
to bring the Lord Christ down;
in vain we search the lowest deeps,
for him no depths can drown;
4. But warm, sweet, tender, even yet
a present help is he;
and faith has still its Olivet,
and love its Galilee.
5. The healing of his seamless dress
is by our beds of pain;
we touch him in life's throng and press
and we are whole again.
6. Through him the first fond prayers are said
our lips of childhood frame;
the last low whispers of the dead
are burdened with his name.
7. Alone, O Love ineffable,
thy saving name is give
to turn aside from thee is hell,
to walk with thee is heaven.