Childing of a maiden bright (Anonymous)
- (Posted 2000-11-27) CPDL #01674:
- Editor: Christopher R. Baker (submitted 2000-11-27). Copyright: CC BY 1.0
- Edition notes: arranged by Rev. G. H. Palmer
Title: Childing of a Maiden Bright
First published: 1902 in The Cowley Carol Book
Original text and translations
English and Latin text
1. Childing of a maiden bright
Life today hath brought to light;
And hath put that prince of might
With his flock of fiends to flight:
Christus natus hodie.
2. Whoso aught hath done amiss,
An it rue him sore for this,
Mary's Babe will shrive i-wis,
Gentle as a lamb He is:
3. He at Bethlehem was born,
Salem gave Him crown of thorn,
Life of want and death of score --
All for love of man forlorn.
4. On this Infant may we call,
Born for man in oxen-stall:
He vouchsafe us bliss withal
In His everlasting hall.
Cum Maria Virgine.