Dependence (Oliver Holden)
- (Posted 2015-03-25) CPDL #34874:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-03-25). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 61 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. Holden published his composition in 1803 with the first stanza of Cowper's hymn; the other five stanzas added below.
- (Posted 2015-03-25) CPDL #34875:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-03-25). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 63 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Holden published his composition in 1803 with the first stanza of Cowper's hymn; the other five stanzas added below.
Description: Words by William Cowper, 1779, his Hymn 74 of Book 3, titled Dependence.
Original text and translations
Dependence, by William Cowper, 1779
To keep the lamp alive,
With oil we fill the bowl;
'Tis water makes the willow thrive;
And grace that feeds the soul.
The Lord's unsparing hand
Supplies the living stream;
It is not at our command,
But still derived from Him.
Beware of Peter's word*,
Nor confidently say,
"I never will deny Thee, Lord,"
But grant I never may.
Man's wisdom is to seek
His strength in God alone;
And e'en an angel would be weak,
Who trusted in his own.
Retreat beneath His wings,
And in His grace confide;
This more exalts the King of Kings**
Than all your works beside.
In Jesus is our store,
Grace issues from His throne;
Whoever says, "I want no more,"
Confesses he has none.
*. Matt. 26:33. **. John 6:29