Discord dire sister (Samuel Webbe)
- (Posted 2017-08-12) CPDL #45863:
- Editor: Frank de Ruyter (submitted 2017-08-12). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 61 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The dynamics are not original, and just an suggestion.
- (Posted 2014-05-30) CPDL #32137:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2014-05-30). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 64 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Alto line set in the original octave below treble clef.
Description: A glee on an extract from Alexander Pope's verse translation of Book IV of Homer's "Iliad"
Original text and translations
Discord, dire sister of the slaught'ring power,
Small at her birth, but rising ev'ry hour,
While scarce the skies her horrid head can bound,
She stalks on earth, and shakes the world around.
But lovely peace, in angel's form
Descending, quells the rising storm.
Soft ease and sweet content shall reign
And discord never rise again.