Lift up your hearts! We lift them, Lord, to Thee (Charles H. Giffen)
- Editor: Charles H. Giffen (submitted 2018-02-16). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 99 kB Copyright: CC BY NC SA
- Edition notes:
Title: Lift up your hearts! We lift them, Lord, to Thee
Composer: Charles H. Giffen
Lyricists: Henry Montagu Butler and Charles H. Giffen (final stanza).
Number of voices: 4 + 2vv Voicing: SATB, with SS Descants
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 10 10. 10 10
First published: 2017
Description: Hymn tune St. Philomena includes 2 (double) descants.
Original text and translations
1. Lift up your hearts! We lift them, Lord, to Thee;
Here at Thy feet none other may we see;
Lift up your hearts! E’en so, with one accord,
We lift them up, we lift them to the Lord.
2. Above the level of the former years,
The mire of sin, the weight of guilty fears,
The mist of doubt, the blight of love’s decay,
O Lord of Light, lift all our hearts today!
3. Lift every gift that Thou Thyself hast given;
Low lies the best till lifted up to heaven;
Low lie the bounding heart, the teeming brain,
Till, sent from God, they mount to God again.
4. Then, as the trumpet call, in after years,
Lift up your hearts! rings pealing in our ears,
Still shall those hearts respond, with full accord
We lift them up, we lift them to the Lord!
5. Lift up your hearts! Lift up with music voice
And music heart, together, now rejoice!
With lifted heart and lifted voice we raise,
To Father, Son, and Holy Spirit: Praise.
Henry Montagu Butler (1833-1918), stanzas 1-4.
Charles H. Giffen (b. 1940), stanza 5.