Stay heart, run not so fast (Thomas Morley)
- (Posted 2011-12-21) CPDL #25198:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-12-21). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 69 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Based on #15032, with corrections. Revised files uploaded 16/12/17.
- (Posted 2007-09-11) CPDL #15032:
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-11). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 52 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
Title: Stay heart, run not so fast
Composer: Thomas Morley
First published: 1597 in Canzonets or Litle Short Aers to Five and Six Voices, no. 18
Original text and translations
Stay heart, run not so fast from him that loves thee,
To her that deadly hates thee.
Her sharp disdain reproves thee,
And worse than ill still rates thee.
Then let her go and spare not;
Hold thou thyself contented and I care not.
Up, gentle swains, we'll have a round this morrow;
My love is gone and with her, 'go, my sorrow'.
O vile wretch, thou lovedst her once and why
now dost thou vary?
Then straight away I haste me,
And after her will run while life shall last me;
Ah, death his force now trieth,
Flora farewell, for lo, thy shepherd dieth.