The eternal gifts of Christ the King (Gregorian chant)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-02-24). Score information: A4, 1 page, 32 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-02-24). Score information: A4, 1 page, 132 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words not underlaid
- Translation by John Mason Neale
Original text and translations
The eternal gifts of Christ the King,
the apostles’ glory, let us sing;
and all, with hearts of gladness, raise
due hymns of thankful love and praise.
For they the Church’s princes are,
triumphant leaders in the war,
in heavenly courts a warrior band,
true lights to lighten every land.
Theirs is the steadfast faith of saints,
and hope that never yields nor faints,
and love of Christ in perfect glow
that lays the prince of this world low.
In them the Father’s glory shone,
in them the will of God the Son,
in them exults the Holy Ghost,
through them rejoice the heavenly host.
To thee, Redeemer, now we cry,
that thou wouldst join to them on high
thy servants, who this grace implore,
for ever and for evermore. Amen.