Charles H. Giffen
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Born: 2 July 1940
View Wikipedia article.
Please inform the composer of any performances of his works.
List of choral works
- For works at CPDL sorted alphabetically by title, see Charles H. Giffen compositions
Introits, antiphons, and responses
- A light will shine on us this day, SATB a cappella
- Adoramus te, Christe, SA a cappella
- Amen, SATB a cappella
- Because there is one bread, SATB a cappella
- Drop down dew from above, SATB a cappella
- Gustate et videte, ATB a cappella
- If you love me, SATB a cappella
- Let the clouds rain down, SATB a cappella
- Nunc dimittis
- Original key, ATBarB a cappella
- Transposed edition, SATB a cappella
- O Lord, you had just cause, SATB a cappella
- O taste and see, ATB and SAB editions,a cappella
- Rorate caeli desuper, SATB a cappella
- Salva nos, Domine, ATBB, SATB a cappela
- Save us, Lord our God, SATB a cappella
- Within your temple, SATB a cappella
Anthems and Motets
- A Hymn for St Cecilia, SATB, with chamber orchestra accompaniment
- Adorna, Sion, thalamum, SATB a cappella
- Ave Maria, SATB a cappella
- Ave Maria a 2, a cappella
- Ave Maria a 3, a cappella
- Ave Maria a 6, SMzATBarB a cappella
- Ave Maria a 8, SSMzACtTBarB and CtTBarB.CtTBarB editions a cappella
- Ave verum corpus, SSATBB, SSA.SSA, and TBB.TBB editions a cappella
- Bring us, O Lord God, ATBBB, AATBB, SATBB, and SSATB editions a cappella
- Creator of the stars of night (Conditor alme siderum), SATB a cappella
- In manus tuas, Domine, ATBB and SATB editions a cappella
- Joy on earth now appearing (Ukrainian: Nova radist' stala), SATB a cappella
- Non vos relinquam orphanos (I will not leave you Comfortless), a cappella
- O magnum mysterium, SSAT.SATB.ATBB original and SSAT.ATBB adaptation a cappella
- Pange lingua, SATB a cappella
- Psallite Domino, communion motet for Ascension a cappella
- Sing ye to the Lord, communion motet for Ascension a cappella"
- Tantum ergo, SATB a cappella
- The New Colossus, SATB, with harp and chamber orchestra (alternatively, organ) accompaniment
- This Advent moon, SATB divisi, a cappella
- Veni, veni, Emmanuel, SATB divisi, a cappella
Ordinary of the Mass
- Kyrie eleison, SATB (also ATBB) a cappella
- Credo, SATB a cappella (or with organ)
- Agnus Dei in A, SATB with optional Descant
- Mass of Redemption
Hymns & settings with text
- Alleluia! sing to Jesus!, [Tune: Hyfrydol] arr. (descant)
- Angels from the realms of glory, [Tune: Regent Square] (with descant)
- At the dawning of creation, [tune: Corde Natus], SATB with 2 S descants
- At the Lamb's high feast we sing, [Tune: Salzburg] arr. SATB with S descant, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, organ.
- Ave vivens hostia, [tune: Graf], SATB with 2 S descants
- Blessed city, heavenly Salem, [Tune: St. Thomas (Wade)], SATB with SS descants
- Christ is made the sure Foundation, [Tune: St. Thomas (Wade)], SATB with 2 S descants
- Christ, whose glory fills the skies (harmonization by William Henry Havergal, with descant)
- Come down, O Love divine, [Tune: Down Ampney] arr. with two descants
- Come, thou long-expected Jesus (includes also the harmonization by William Henry Havergal, descants)
- Dignare me, O Jesu, a cappella
- Eternal rest grant them, we pray [Tune: Eisenach]
- From lands that see the sun arise [Tune: St. Croix], SATB with S descant
- Gentle Shepherd, Thou hast stilled [Tune: O'Connell], SATB
- Hail, Thou living Victim blest [Tune: Graf], SATB with 2 S descants.
- Hark! the herald angels sing, arr. SATB with double descants.
- Holy God, we praise thy name [Tunes: Rasmus & O'Connell], SATB with S descant.
- Jesus, keep me near the cross [Tune: Near the Cross], SATB.
- Jesus, Lord of Life Eternal, [Tune: Beaudry (87. 87. 87)], SATB with S Descant.
- Kind Maker of the world [Tune: Crucified], SATB.
- King of Glory, King of Peace, [Tune: Graf, SATB with 2 S descants.
- Let thy Blood in mercy poured [Tune: Rasmus], SATB with S descant.
- Lift up your hearts! We lift them, Lord, to Thee [Tune: St. Philomena (10 10. 10 10)], SATB with SS Descants.
- Nun lobet Gott im Hohen Thron, SATB with Descant
- O come and mourn with me awhile [Tune: Crucified], SATB.
- O day of radiant gladness [Tune: Es flog ein kleins Waldvögelein], arr. SATB wtih S descant.
- O Holy Spirit! now descend on me [Tune: MacKillop 10], SATB with S descant.
- O love, how deep [Tune: Old hundredth]. SATB, a cappella.
- O Mother Mary of the Cross [Tune: MacKillop], SATB with S descant.
- O what light and glory [Tune: Graf], SATB with S descant.
- Sing for the morning's joy, Cecilia, sing [Tune: Gloucester Crescent], SATB.
- Sing, O sing, this blessed morn [Tune: McShane].
- Sing praise to God in heaven above, SATB with Descant
- The strife is o'er [Tune: Arisen], SATB.
Hymn tunes & harmonizations without text
- Beaudry (87. 87. 87)
- Corde Natus. Hymn tune and harmonization, SATB with descant.
- Crucified (L.M.). Hymn tune with two harmonizations.
- Graf, 76. 76. D (trochaic). Hymn tune & harmonization, SATB with two descants.
- McShane (77. 77. 77)
- O'Connell (78. 78. 77). Hymn tune and harmonization, SATB.
- Old hundredth (L.M.). Three SATB harmonizations, one with descant.
- Rasmus (78. 78. 77)
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Interview video with the composer on the Western Wisconsin Journal.