Hopkinton (Oliver Holden)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-08-09). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 60 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1796. The other four stanzas of Barlow's paraphrase added below, renumbered.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-08-09). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 55 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The other four stanzas of Barlow's paraphrase added below, renumbered.
First Line: Now to Thy altar, O my God
Composer: Oliver Holden
Lyricist: Joel Barlow
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1796 in The Union Harmony, Volume 1.2, p. 112
Description: Words by Joel Barlow, 1786, his paraphrase of Psalm 43, in five stanzas. Holden used the fourth stanza of Barlow's paraphrase in his composition.
Original text and translations
1. Judge me, O God and plead my cause,
4. Then to Thy altar, O my God, (a)
Safety in divine protection by Joel Barlow
- a. Holden has "Now to Thy altar."