Humility (Oliver Shaw)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2019-12-01). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 79 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2019-12-01). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 2 pages, 79 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape).
First published: 1808 in The Columbian Sacred Harmonist
Description: Words by "J. M. Williams", apparently first published in The Columbian Sacred Harmonist in 1808, with four stanzas, all used by Shaw in his composition.
Original text and translations
1. Beneath the stern, unyielding power
2. But summer's sun, with genial ray,
3. Thus do the haughty sons of earth,
4. But He, who bids the thunders speak,