Sleep now, my muse (George Kirbye)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-01-24). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 41 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the 1892 edition, edited by G. E. P. Arkwright, transposed back to original key.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-11). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 40 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-01-25). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 64 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the 1892 edition, edited by G. E. P. Arkwright.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-15). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 33 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: SSATTB. Copyright (c) 2004 V. M. Brennan
Title: Sleep now, my muse
Composer: George Kirbye
First published: 1597 in The first set of English madrigalls to 4-6 voyces, no. 6 & 24
Description: The SSAT version is no. 6 from The first set of English madrigalls to 4, 5 & 6 voyces (George Kirbye) and the SSATTB version is no. 24.
Original text and translations
Sleep now my muse, and henceforth take thy rest,
Which all too long thyself in vain had wasted.
Let it suffice, I still must live oppressed,
And of my pains the fruit must ne'er be tasted.
Then sleep my muse, fate cannot be withstood;
It's better sleep than wake and do no good.