Mass for Three Voices (William Byrd)
Provable error in Eichler edition
Hi! Thank you so much to all editors, particularly, in this instance, to Gerd Eichler. I think there are two wrong notes in Agnus Dei, bar 11: the half notes in the bass entrance should be G>A instead of A>Bb. Best wishes, Luís Lopes Cardoso
Some more edits to the Eichler edition. (If Eichler is reading this, please know that I provide these edits because your score is my favourite out of the editions available on CPDL from which to read! Thank you for typesetting it.) I've incorporated the comments above as well (except FelixMendeldog's, which I can't find in the score).
- mm.69 Bassus has minim F; Mus 493 has minim A (as above, Dpxpubs)
- mm.16 Bassus has semibreve D; Mus 493 has semibreve F
- mm.23 Tenor has semibreve E; Mus 490 has semibreve D
- mm.103 Cantus has dotted-minim D, crochet E; Mus 491 has minim D, minim E
- mm.104 Tenor has crochet G on "-nis"; Mus 490 has crochet F
- mm.167 Bassus has "-men:"; should be "-men."
SANCTUS & BENEDICTUS
- mm.47 Cantus has semibreve F; Mus 491 has semibreve E
- mm.49 Cantus has "-cl-"; should be "-cel-"
- mm.11 Bassus has minim A, minim B-flat; Mus 493 has minim G, minim A (as above, Luís Lopes Cardoso)
- mm.40–41 Tenor has minim G, minim C; Mus 490 has dotted minim G, crochet C