Pater peccavi is a responsory for the 2nd Saturday in Lent, but seems to have been set as a motet far more often than its liturgical use would require. In the modern 3-year lectionary, the Gospel of the Prodigal Son is read on Proper 19 of the third cycle (also known as Ordinary Time 24C).
There is a Missa Pater peccavi by A. Gabrielli.
English settings of the same text may be found at I will arise and go.
Settings by composers
- L'Enfant prodigue at IMSLP:
- M. A. Charpentier (H399)
- The Prodigal Son (Elisha J. King)
- The Prodigal Son - Sullivan
Other settings possibly not included in the manual list above
- Anonymous — Quanti mercenarii
- Pierre Colin — Pater peccavi
- Christian Hollander — Pater peccavi
- Dominique Phinot — Pater peccavi
Text and translations
Pater peccavi in coelum et coram te.
Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you;