Preces and Responses (Thomas Tallis)
- Editor: Clark Brydon (submitted 2022-11-03). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 100 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Usage for Church of Ireland: 'O Lord, save the Queen' has been replaced with 'O Lord, guide and defend our rulers'
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-06-12). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 56 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: This is the version found in Cathedral Music, Volume 1 (William Boyce). Clefs modernised and original note values retained.
- Editor: Adrian Wall (submitted 2010-12-16). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 264 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Combining aspects of the two source variants. In G.
Title: Preces and Responses
Composer: Thomas Tallis
Manuscript c. 1625-1640 Peterhouse, Cambridge MSS 33, 34, 38, 39, 47, 49 (Peterhouse Partbooks: former Caroline set)
Manuscript c. 1625-1640 Peterhouse, Cambridge MSS 36, 42, 44 (Peterhouse Partbooks: latter Caroline set)
First published: 1661
2nd published: 1760 in Cathedral Music, Volume 1, p. 1
Description: Several versions of Tallis's responses have been made (see link below). Leonard Ellinwood's edition in EECM volume 13 has a "first" and a "second" set of Preces and Responses (based on the "former" and "latter" sets of Peterhouse Partbooks, respectively); however, essentially, they are variants of the same music.
- Chapter on this work in Thomas Tallis and his music in Victorian England by Suzanne Cole, available on Google Books
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Preces and Responses.