Richmond (William Billings)
- (Posted 2015-02-24) CPDL #34663:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2015-02-24). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 63 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Transcribed from The Suffolk Harmony, 1786, pp. 23-24.
- (Posted 2002-04-30) CPDL #03574: (Finale 2001)
- Editor: Rafael Ornes (submitted 2002-04-30). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 99 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Description: First published in 1778, revised by Billings in 1786. Words by James Relly, 1776, his Hymn 55, based on Song of Solomon 8:14.
Original text and translations
My beloved haste away,
Sick of love for thee I languish,
Fails my Soul at thy delay,
Feels a dying lover's anguish.
Quickly, Jesus come,
O make thy breast thy native home.
Every Moment seems an Age,
'Till Thy presence shall relieve me,
'Till Thy smiles my woes assuage,
And Thine absence no more grieve me:
Great the force and power of love,
Whence springs all my strong desires;
I, Thy presence, Lord, to prove,
Burn, consumed, with inward fires:
Honor, wealth, and ease I scorn,
Trifles, by the world approved,
To superior joys I'm born,
Centering in my Well-beloved:
O'er the spicy mountains fly
Hart and roe, yea winds out-stripping;
Whilst thou tarry, Love, I die,
Sighing, longing, loving, weeping ;
Quickly, quickly, Jesus come,
Make my breast Thy native home.