Ave Maria, Op. 52, No. 6 (Franz Schubert)
- Contributor: Aldona Jones (submitted 2008-07-31). Score information: Letter, 10 pages Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Source: Gesänge für eine Singstimme mit Klavierbegleitung. Band 1. Leipzig: Edition Peters, No. 20a. n.d.(ca.1915), plate 9023 - Piano score also available - Edition in B Flat Major.
- Editor: Pawel Jura (submitted 2000-06-10). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 50 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Solo version.
Latin text arrangements
- with Accompaniment
- Practice Files:
- • MP3 Practice Files: Soprano: Alto: Tenor: Bass:
- • Midi Practice Files: Soprano: Alto: Tenor: Bass:
- Editor: William Chimiak (submitted 2023-06-26). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 97 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: This is an SATB version to be sung a cappella
- Editor: Rémi Studer (submitted 2023-01-31). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 83 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: soloist + SATB Arranged by Remi Studer.
- Editor: Rémi Studer (submitted 2023-07-31). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 87 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: soloist + TTB Arranged by Remi Studer.
- Editor: Eva Toller (submitted 2021-07-22). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 262 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Arranged by Eva Toller. All files are available on http://www.evatoller.se/main_women_titles_A-D.html (MIDI files available for each part.)
- Editor: Jes Wagner (submitted 2016-03-05). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 900 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: SATB
- Editor: Pawel Jura (submitted 2000-11-13). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 136 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Solo version, link fixed 4/15/03.
Piano solo arrangement
- Editor: Andris Solims (submitted 2011-10-07). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 51 kB Copyright: CC BY NC
- Edition notes:
Title: Ave Maria, Op. 52, No. 6, D 839, first published as Ellens Gesang. III. Hymne an die Jungfrau (Ellen's song, III. Hymn to the Virgin) and also called Ellens dritter Gesang (Ellen's third song).
Composer: Franz Schubert
Lyricist: Walter Scott (1771-1832)
First published: 1826
Description: This song is No. 6 of Schubert's Liederzyklus vom Fräulein vom See (Song-cycle from 'The Lady of the Lake'), composed in 1825. The seven songs that form the song-cycle were published in 1826 as Schubert's Op. 52, with both Storck's German texts and the original English texts by Scott, under the title Sieben Gesange aus Walter Scotts Fräulein vom See (Seven Songs from Walter Scott's Lady of the Lake). Schubert's source was The Lady of the Lake by Sir Walter Scott ( 1771-1832), in the German translation (published 1819) by Adam Storck (pseudonym for Philipp Adam), 1780-1822). Often sung in Latin with an adaptation of the Roman Catholic Ave Maria text, this song is often referred to as "Schubert's Ave Maria", popular as both a wedding song and a funeral song.
- Entry at "Art Song Central" for this song
- Entry at the "Lied and Art Song Texts Page", with Dutch, French, and Italian translations
View the Wikipedia article on Ave Maria, Op. 52, No. 6 (Franz Schubert).
Original text and translations
The Latin text (adapted to Schubert's music) is the traditional Ave Maria! Gratia plena. Original text and translations may be found at Ave Maria.
The German and English texts below constitute No. XXIX of Canto III, of Scott's The Lady of the Lake.
by Adam Storck
by Sir Walter Scott