Father of mercies, in thy word (Herbert Stephen Irons)
- (Posted 2020-11-21) CPDL #61580:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-21). Score information: A4, 1 page, 40 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words to the tune Southwell in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2020-11-21) CPDL #61579:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-21). Score information: A4, 1 page, 76 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn to the tune Southwell in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
External websites: https://embassysingers.de/scores/hymns.html
Original text and translations
Father of mercies, in thy word
what endless glory shines!
For ever be thy name adored
for these celestial lines.
Here may the blind and hungry come,
and light and food receive;
here shall the lowliest guest have room,
and taste and see and live.
Here springs of consolation rise
to cheer the fainting mind,
and thirsting souls receive supplies,
and sweet refreshment find.
Here the Redeemer’s welcome voice
spreads heavenly peace around,
and life and everlasting joys
attend the blissful sound.
O may these hallowed pages be
my ever dear delight,
and still new beauties may I see,
and still increasing light.
Divine instructor, gracious Lord,
be thou for ever near;
teach me to love thy sacred word,
and view my Saviour here.