O God, our help in ages past (William Croft)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-12-06). Score information: A4, 1 page, 35 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard.
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-12-06). Score information: A4, 1 page, 87 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
- Editor: Henk Vogel (submitted 2020-01-27). Score information: A4, 1 page Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Descant for 'O God, our help in ages past' (or in Dutch: 'O God, die droeg ons voorgeslacht') with organ accompaniment.
- Editor: Ross Jallo (submitted 2011-12-14). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 75 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original key. This edition uses the original setting of the hymn tune "St. Anne", with the melody in the tenor, to be sung a cappella.
- Editor: Tim Blickhan (submitted 2009-11-25). Score information: Octavo, 13 pages, 313 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Arranged by Tim Blickhan. Arranged for SATB, 3 trumpets, 2 trombones and organ. This arrangement copyright © 1986 Charles Timothy Blickhan.
- Editor: Arjen Bax (submitted 2013-05-04). Score information: A4, 1 page, 41 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Setting as found in the New English Hymnal #417. LilyPond source included.
Title: O God, our help in ages past
Composer: William Croft
Tune name: St. Anne's, or St. Ann's
Lyricist: Isaac Watts
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
First published: 1708 in A Supplement to the New Version
2nd published: 1983 in Hymns Ancient and Modern, New Standard, no. 99
Description: William Croft's tune St. Anne's was first published in 1708, in the 6th edition of A Supplement to the New Version of Psalms, as a setting of 'As pants the hart for cooling streams' (Psalm 42). It was widely re-used with a number of texts before being republished with 'O God, our help in ages past' (Isaac Watts' paraphrase of Psalm 90) in The Psalm and Hymn Tunes, used at St Johns Chapel, Bedford Row, a collection compiled by Theophania Cecil, who was the organist at St. John's Chapel and the daughter of Richard Cecil, who was the minister there. It is now frequently sung with this text. Hymn Tune Index tune number 664. A descant to the hymn can be found here.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Psalm 90.
- Posted in December 2020
- Andrew Sims editions
- Henk Vogel editions
- Ross Jallo editions
- A cappella
- Tim Blickhan editions
- Tim Blickhan arrangements
- Brass accompaniment
- Organ accompaniment
- Arjen Bax editions
- William Croft compositions
- 4-part choral music
- Sacred music
- 86. 86 (C.M.)
- Works in English
- 1708 works
- 1983 works
- Sheet music
- Baroque music