Trust not too much (Orlando Gibbons)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-10-28). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 97 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: A capella version of #20822.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2014-05-07). Score information: Letter, 8 pages, 123 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-01-14). Score information: A4, 11 pages, 125 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Revised files uploaded 28/10/17.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-26). Score information: Letter, 10 pages, 103 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan.
Title: Trust not too much
Composer: Orlando Gibbons
Number of voices: 5vv Voicing: SSTTB
Genre: Secular, Madrigal
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1612 in The First Set of Madrigals and Mottets, no. 20
Original text and translations
Trust not too much, fair youth, unto thy feature;
Be not enamoured of thy blushing hue.
Be gamesome whilst thou art a goodly creature;
The flow'rs will fade that in thy garden grew.
Sweet violets are gather'd in their spring,
white primit falls withouten pitying.